“If anything can go wrong, it will” – Murphy’s Law
I have never been a full pessimist until this year hit. 2017 proved to be one mighty beast that still needs to be tamed! My 2016 ended on a sad note after my visa to France got denied there and then sadness ensued so I went to escape in the island of Siargao and despite the good times, it just started rolling out a series of misfortunes. Originally, I expected 2017 to make up for the bad end to 2016 but at the moment it does not seem like it or maybe my head is just too buried into the dark clouds. In an attempt to see the silver lining on things or at least make others grateful about their lives, I have decided to list down the things that went wrong from January til June though you should not expect anything life threatening as I do not really live my life on the edge.
- Lost my phone in Siargao due to carelessness, I left it by the beach, realised late and drove under the crazy rain only to find out someone already took it.
- Ended an almost two-year relationship because of NYE celebration and paid for it dearly over liters of tears and sleepless days.
- My company phone got stolen in Vietnam while crossing the street.
- Got stung by a serpent and had a lot of extreme stress.
- Killed an apple and bled a lot for it.
- Crashed on a motorbike for the first time and got multiple burns on my right leg.
- Had a reef puncture my left foot and was too stubborn so I ended up with a bad infection which ended up with my first hospitalisation and first minor operation which cost me a lot!
- Went into a period of self-destruction because of the heartbreak and pressure.
- Gained weight over unhealthy lifestyle.
- Lost money over being lazy with executing business ideas and buying things our of stress.
For the first few months, I pretty much messed up my relationship and my health. I paid dearly for it with a lot of emotional and physical bouts. They say that emotional pain usually hurts more but I cannot really say that after not being able to do normal activities for almost 2 months because of the foot injury! Reading the list above would tell you that I did not start my 2017 right, however, despite the bad side I have had cool things happen too.
- Met new good friends over the solo travels/misadventures in different places.
- Became the first Chapter Director for Startup Grind Cebu.
- Had my first underwater photo shoot.
- Promoted as boss for ASPACE Cebu and received praises from our founder because of the hard work I put in.
- Bonded with my mother and sister as we traveled to Malaysia and Vietnam despite some drama.
- Won my first Club competition for Table Topics (Impromptu Speaking) and represented Cebu South Toastmasters Club in the area competition.
- Met Sylvia Earle and Pierre Cousteau and the whole marine conservation crew in Singapore.
- Had another opportunity to speak about marine conservation during the I Luv Cebu Instameet
- Surfed in the open sea for the first time and caught my first wave in Siargao.
- Finally had my first public screening for Girl Rising
- Drafted my first act which aims to ban products with plastic beads which won over two other acts and it ended up being submitted to General Santos City.
- Won a pageant at 30 and while injured.
- Finally bought myself a sewing machine.
- Bought my own web domain and updated my website.
- Traveled to Singapore for the second time and Hong Kong for the first time.
- Elected as Vice President for Education in our Toastmasters Club.
- Bought my first electric scooter and finally mustered the courage to drive around Cebu City.
- Met Gary Vaynerchuk in person and had my book signed.
- Joined an international startup/tech conference for the first time and connected with a bunch of inspiring people.
- Got over my fear of going out alone and danced like no one was watching in Lan Kwai Fong!
I managed to list down almost double the negative things that happened and I did not even realise that there were a lot of good things happening til I started listing them down. This is why it is important to practice gratitude. I have been lousy in writing daily of what I am thankful for and this simple practice is proven to greatly improve your perspective on life.
As I went over the list, I know some of the things listed will probably be repeated as I will never be free of mistakes or stupidity but that is okay because we are humans and it is part of our fallible nature.
As much as I had mistakes, I think that I have gained a lot of lessons along the way which matters more. 2017 is not yet over and I already have a good number of failures or mess ups but the biggest lesson learned for this year is accepting my own failures and be able to move on and forgive myself. There were definitely moments where I thought that I should just give up but there is always a reason for me to stand up and get back in the game again. Only half of the year is over but somehow it feels like that 2017 is done. 2018 is already on its way and I wonder what 2017 still has for me. One thing for sure, despite a lot of bad things happening, life goes on and for this reason alone, we should accept, forgive and move forward.
“We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.”
― Anaïs Nin
How is your 2017 so far? Are you turning losses to wins or letting losses win over you?